Saturday, January 26, 2013

Strange Art in Cub Scout Manuals

Let me tell you right up front, I am a huge fan of the Boy Scouts of America.  They are an amazing organization and a positive influence in a negative world.  I was was a Cub Scout and Boy Scout leader when my sons were young.
The scout manuals were always informative and colorful.  I think I enjoyed the manuals more than my boys did, one in particular, the Wolf Cub Scout Book printed in 1990.  There were some real imaginative interpretations of "Akela", the wolf character from Kipling's The Jungle Book that the Wolf Cub Scout gets its name from.  Robert Depew is the Illustrator who is given credit for the Akela illustrations in this book copyrighted in 1986.  "Akela" is a lanky, anthropomorphic wolf in scout regalia who reminds me a little of the popular movie werewolves of the time in such films as " The Howling" and "An American Werewolf in London".  I really like the illustrations, I find them incredibly creepy, and that's not an insult, it's a high compliment from me!  The color choices and atmosphere put me in the mood for a scary story!  I've wondered if any little scouts ever had unintended nightmares about "Akela"!




No comments: