Monday, January 04, 2021

Entering The House Of My Heroes, American Watercolor Artist John Randall York

 22 x 30 inches,  Chopsticks, # 2 Pencil, 3 Brushes, Watercolor on Arches paper.

   Let me tell you a little about this blue horseman and his steed. He moves with confidence from left to right like American carousel animals do (I've read that British carousel horses moved from right to left). I imagine that he is the real thing, a new kind of creature, like in a fairy story. A man's body with a horse's head and some tiny bat wings. Though, he might be an imposter, a man in elaborate armor with a fancy horse head helmet and a beautiful, magic sword. His blue horse is almost tangled in a border of designs and from the warm yellow and pink background those  mysterious eye-leaf creatures hover and swirl!                                                                                                   

 

  I really enjoyed working on this painting, sort of, "making friends" with the characters in it. Do you ever read a book and feel sad when you finish because you have to say goodbye to the characters you've grown close to? That's how I felt about the painting "Entering The House Of My Heroes". I wrote a note to myself while working on the painting, "If you ever want to see a creature like this you have to create him".



             Copyright 2020 by John Randall York, All rights reserved by the artist


No comments: