Sunday, February 03, 2013

John Pike Paints Watercolors

John Pike was an American water colorist who lived from 1911 to 1979, I'll always be in awe of his work.  I first saw some of his artwork in a book I checked out in the 1980s called JOHN PIKE PAINTS WATERCOLORS.  The way he painted the light from colored lanterns glowing in a smoky village or transparent green water in a fishing village or gigantic trees catching the sunlight in a snowy field is unequalled.
Pike said he couldn't afford expensive Sable brushes when he started out so he bought cheap bristle brushes which he used for his entire career.  He designed a unique watercolor palette which is still being production, one I enjoy using when I paint... however, not as beautifully as he did.


                                                 

No comments: