Thursday, January 10, 2013

Making a Book Cover Illustration

When I started work on the cover for Gregory Miller's collection of short stories, The Uncanny Valley: Tales from a Lost Town I started making little sketches about the size of a large postage stamp and I tried to picture the cover as a thumbnail image on a website like Amazon. I also tried to imagine how the book cover might appear if I walked into a book store and saw a whole row of book covers, would ours stand out? I tried to go by what would attract me so it wasn't going to look like a Tom Clancy novel or a Danielle Steel book.























When I settled on a design I made a pencil sketch about 8 1/2 x 11 inches in size and eventually enlarged that to about 11 x 14 inches and transferred it to a piece of illustration board.


No comments: